Beyond Earth System Science
An Approach for the 21st Century
To develop scientists capable of solving our grand challenges, we need to
- Rethink the definition of "essential information"
- Make more time for student reflection
- Focus on learning how to learn, rather than on transfer of content
- Develop an adaptive approach to teaching
- Redeploy educational funding to support transdisciplinary learning environments
- Support transdisciplinary, team-based research
- Commit part of our research time to the public good
- Recognize (and reward) this kind of work within science programs
Form collaborations with policy makers, with industry, and with the public.
Engage appropriately with your environment. If you live in the desert southwest, good stewardship would involve xeriscaping.... Apply the same principle to your academic work.