GIS Certificate, University of West Florida
Information for this profile was provided by Matthew Schwartz in 2009. Information is also available on the program website.
University of West Florida is a university with graduate programs, primarily masters programs .
Overview and Context
This certificate program runs parallel to our BS degree program in Environmental Studies, which is divided into three tracks (Natural Science, Geography, and Environmental Policy).
This certificate curriculum provides students with a definable, job-related skill that can also contribute substantively to academic efforts (e.g., Master's theses).
Goals and Assessment
To provide students with GIS skills for professional and academic applications.
Courses and Sequencing
Entry into the program
- Physical Geography
- Cartographic Skills
- Photo Interpretation and Remote Sensing w/Lab (Prerequisite: Cartographic Skills)
- Geographic Information Systems w/ Lab (Prerequisite: Cartographic Skills)
- Applications in Geographic Information Systems (Prerequisite: Geographic Information Systems w/ Lab)
- Special Topics in Geographic Information Science (Prerequisite: Geographic Information Systems w/ Lab)
- GIS Programming
- Directed Study OR GIS Internship
This certificate curriculum is offered at the BS and MS-level, and is also offered as a wholly online Continuing Education program.