Geology, Thomas Nelson Community College
Information for this profile was provided by Pete Berquist in 2009.
Thomas Nelson Community College is a two year college .
Overview and Context
The Geology Department at TNCC offers only two courses for students that are working towards their Associates degree. Our intention is to provide comparable introductory geology courses (compared to four-year public institutions) that introduce students to the geosciences.
The TNCC program must provide effective instruction to students with diverse academic, personal, and professional backgrounds. Geology courses satisfy the College's general science requirements for an Associates degree in general, and specifically for certification in primary and secondary education.
Goals and Assessment
Provide students with
- general science literacy and application of the scientific process,
- critical thinking skills,
- an understanding of jobs related to the geosciences,
- an understanding of our use and impact on natural resources,
- and fundamental topics in earth sciences.
Achievement of program goals are assessed through evaluation of assignments and responses to student surveys.
Courses and Sequencing
Entry into the program
- Physical Geology
- Historical Geology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
Overview of TNCC Geology Department Curriculum (Microsoft Word 29kB May9 09)