B.S. Geology, Elizabeth City State University
Information for this profile was provided by Francisco San Juan in 2009.
Elizabeth City State University is a public four-year institution, primarily undergraduate .
Overview and Context
This is the only curriculum for a B.S. in Geology. We do have a Minor in Geology program.
The program was designed to prepare students for entry-level employment or to go to graduate school.
Goals and Assessment
The primary goals of the program are:
- To help all students to learn the basic underlying concepts, facts and skills that are required for successful participation in the present technological society
- To assist students to become competent and successful Earth scientists
- To prepare students in the geological, environmental and other Earth related professional disciplines
- To provide scholarships and research opportunities for students
- To prepare students for graduate study in the geological, environmental, and marine sciences, in Geographic Information Systems, in Remote Sensing and in resource management.
[We assess student success via] the usual course exams and assignments, plus the capstone course in geology.
Courses and Sequencing
Entry into the program
- Principles of Geological Science (Physical Geology)
- Age of Dinosaurs
- Historical Geology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
- Geomorphology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
- Mineralogy (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
- Sedimentology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
- Stratigraphy (Prerequisite: Sedimentology)
- Structural Geology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology and Pre-calculus)
- Petrology (Prerequisite: Mineralogy)
- Field Geology (Prerequisites: Stratigraphy and Structural Geology)
- Summer Practical Internship (Prerequisites: Pre-calculus, Geomorphology, Stratigraphy, Structural Geology, Petrology, Field Geology)
ElectivesFor restricted electives, students are required to take 13-15 credits (4 to 5 courses); for free electives/minor, students must take 16-21 credits (5-7 courses), chosen from the following list:
- The Age of Dinosaurs
- Paleontology (Prerequisite: Historical Geology or Marine Invertebrates)
- Hydrogeology (Prerequisite: Physical Geology)
- Principles of GIS (Prerequisite: Introduction to Computing and Cartographic Principles)
- Intro to Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing (Prerequisites: Intro to Computing and Geomorphology)
- Cartographic Principles (Prerequisite: Introduction to Geography)
- Coastal Geology (Prerequisite: Intro to Marine Science or Physical Geology)
- Economic Geology (Prerequisites: Mineralogy, Stratigraphy, Structural Geology, Petrology)
Other required courses
- General Chemistry I and II
- General Physics I, General Physics II or General Biology I or II.
- Geology Seminar