Go back to the introduction to this survey.
Click on the thumbnails to see larger versions of the graphs.
Almost all departments said that there were expectations to contribute significantly to teaching non-majors.
Almost all departments said that it was important to integrate research and education.
- Some expressed annoyance that there is even a question about this; it is a given
- By far the most common effort is to provide a research experience for undergraduates
- Several indicated that teaching is very important in annual reviews and promotion cases (e.g., "people don't get tenure unless they take both very seriously")
- Flexible teaching/research loads that don't go to zero in either area
- Faculty mentoring of junior faculty by senior faculty known for their effective integration of research and education
- Hiring faculty in geoscience education positions