Student Learning Outcomes
Geoscience Department, Winona State University
Graduates of the WSU Geoscience Department will be able to:*
- Nurture their own scientific curiosity in order to formulate scientific questions, identify multiple working hypotheses, and select appropriate methods to address a geologic problem in a novel situation.
- Observe, collect, describe, and map geologic data.
- Visualize spatial and temporal relationships between geologic data.
- Connect various sub-disciplines of geologic knowledge and integrate knowledge from other sciences to interpret geologic data.
- Relate science to political, social, cultural contexts.
- Communicate their findings effectively in both oral and written venues to scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Critically evaluate data, interpretations, and conclusions in their own work and the work of others.
* Note: The order in which these objectives are listed does not imply any priority; all are deemed equally important to the faculty.