Student Learning Outcomes
Geology Department, Miami University
- Understanding of and ability to apply the scientific method.
- Acquisition of critical thinking skills and the ability to apply these in
- the evaluation of published information and existing knowledge
- the formulation of questions pertaining to Earth Systems Science
- the development and execution of a research problem and
- the general acquisition of new knowledge.
- Mastery of a broad base of disciplinary concepts, knowledge, methods (skills), and applications.
- Mastery of the conceptual framework for understanding the spatial and temporal aspects of Earth features and processes and the influence of these on the development and evolution of Earth systems.
- Acquisition of quantitative skills for data collection, analysis, and synthesis.
- Ability to think and work independently and as a team player within a diverse research group.
- Establishment of a general curiosity about how the Earth works and of the complexities of Earth system interactions in the context of a global community.