CSinParallel Demos at SIGCSE '12
- WebMapReduce for CS1
- Using the WebMapRepduce software, students are able to understand the difference between sequential and parallel computation through data parallelism.
- Programming with multiple cores
- Through the use of threads, students explore the potential issues surrounding parallelism while observing the increase in speed.
- Uses either Intel's TBB or OpenMP
- Concurrent Data Structures
- While implementing a web crawler, students gain an understanding of thread safe data structures.
- Uses either Java threads or Boost threads
- Cluster Programming with MPI
- Students use Open MPI to learn about distributed computing, including how to arrange data and work among different nodes, while using the C++ API to interface with the cluster.