Agenda: Assessing Learning in Off-Campus Study
Monday, June 25 | 177 N. State St., Suite 700
12:00-1:00 pm: Lunch
1:00-1:15 pm: Welcome; goals for meeting; overview of May workshop
- John Ottenhoff (Vice President, ACM)
- Christopher Welna (President, ACM)
1:15-1:45 pm: Overview session on approaches to assessment
Framework about assessment practices, and methodologies and information about relevant data in the Wabash National Study
- Charlie Blaich (Director, Center of Inquiry at Wabash College and the Higher Education Data Sharing Consortium (HEDS))
- Kathy Wise (Associate Director of Inquiries, Center of Inquiry at Wabash College)
1:45-2:30 pm: Roundtable discussions (assigned small groups)
Describe the off-campus program options on your campus (college-run, third-party provider, etc.): How do you currently assess these programs? What works well and what doesn't? How does your institutions connect off-campus learning and assessment of learning to on-campus learning and assessment?
2:30-3:00 pm: Reporting out (full group)
3:00-3:15 pm: Break
3:15-4:15 pm: Integrating Study Abroad Assessment into Institutional Practice
- Betsy Brewer (Director, International Education, Beloit College)
- Helena Kaufman (Director of Off-Campus Studies, Carleton College)
4:14-4:45 pm: Reviewing Learning from Study Abroad survey results
- Tom McGuiness (Doctoral Candidate, Center for the Study of Higher & Postsecondary Education, University of Michigan)
- John Ottenhoff
4:45-5:30 pm: Discussion
What did we learn through the Learning from Study Abroad survey instrument? What might be improved in the instrument? How can we use this survey tool as a basis for moving forward?
5:30-8:00 pm: Dinner (location to be determined)_______________________________________
Tuesday, June 26 | 177 N. State St., Suite 700
9:00-10:00 am: Developing an off-campus and student-learning assessment toolkit
- Charlie Blaich and Kathy Wise
10:00-11:15 am: Working session (small groups)
Given the variety of assessment tools just presented, what could you envision using or adapting for off-campus study programs?
Session goal: Determine what overall approach, based on one or a mix of assessment methods, you would recommend for your institution in general and also for third-party collaborators, such as the ACM.