STEM Education Center at Saint Xavier University
The STEM Education Center at Saint Xavier University aims to strengthen the quality of STEM education, increase the number of students graduating in STEM disciplines to meet local and national workforce needs, and build the university's capacity to advance knowledge in STEM disciplines.
School of Education, Saint Xavier University
Profile submitted by Julie Reinhart, Ph.D.
Goals and Objectives
- Increase the number of well-qualified STEM teachers in south suburban schools in the Chicago metropolitan area by providing professional development opportunities for teachers.
- Improve the knowledge and skills of university faculty who prepare teacher candidates in mathematics, science and technology.
- Increase the number of teachers and students who participate in programs that encourage careers in STEM fields.
- Provide professional development experiences that will enable educators to deliver relevant, standards-based programs of instruction that model the reality of the workplace.
- Attract and advance a diverse population of STEM students who can effectively meet the challenges of our nation's science and technology needs.
- Connect school and universities to promote mutually-beneficial partnerships that support the needs of today's society.
The STEM Education Center at Saint Xavier University is a unit within the School of Education.
Description of Programming
The STEM Education Center at Saint Xavier University provides professional development seminars to local practicing K-8 teachers. Additionally, the STEM Education Center loans equipment and curricular resources to practicing K-8 teachers and Saint Xavier University faculty and students.
Successes and Impacts
Our programs are well received by local practicing K-8 teachers. We continuously receive high evaluations from program participants. Another success is our equipment and curricular material loan program. Through our loan program, local K-8 teachers, Saint Xavier University faculty, and Saint Xavier University students are able to borrow equipment and materials for instructional purposes.
Elements Contributing to Success
Our programs are innovative and engaging and are run by highly respected experts in the field. Additionally, we have two physical locations for our STEM Education Center. The two locations, Chicago and Orland Park, are convenient to practicing K-8 teachers, university faculty, and university students, which enables the STEM Education Center to be flexible with programing.