About the Pilot Project
The STEM Ed Center project is examining the need and value of establishing a robust network and communication among university-based STEM Education Centers to contribute to transforming undergraduate science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is funding this project, and it is being organized by a planning committee convened by APLU.
Specifically, our project seeks to survey the landscape of STEM education centers in order to
- better understand and document the breadth of programs that support evidence-based practices in undergraduate STEM education;
- identify commonalities and variations among such centers; and
- begin to build a national network among such centers.
This summer we will conduct a survey of centers in order to create a preliminary taxonomy of center structures (e.g., how they were established; their mechanisms for working across campus and other organizations) and functions (e.g., the problems or issues the centers were established to address, and how they are being addressed). Simultaneously we will create a technology infrastructure that showcases programs, allows for communication among centers, and makes these programs and networks accessible to a broad array of constituents.
Building on that work, we will convene a 1.5-day workshop in September.
By mid-fall 2013, the project's outcomes will include
- An initial community of STEM Education Centers;
- A centralized mechanism for showcasing centers and their outcomes;
- A workshop report that includes a preliminary taxonomy of center attributes, findings and recommendations for future action;
- Initial plans for a proposal to create a new network of STEM Education Centers with the purpose of sharing information, resources and strategies that support transforming undergraduate education.
May - October, 2013
Noah Finkelstein, PhD, Director, Center for STEM Learning, University of Colorado, Boulder
Cathryn A. Manduca, PhD, Director, Science Education Resource Center, Carleton College
Steven Case, PhD, Director, Center for STEM Learning, University of Kansas
Laird Kramer, PhD, Director, STEM Transformational Institute, Florida International University
Robert Mathieu, PhD, Director, CIRTL Network, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Nalini Nadkarni, PhD, Director, Center for Science and Mathematics Education, University of Utah
Ann Marie VanDerZanden, PhD, Director, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University
Donna Gerardi Riordan, DGR Strategies, Senior Consultant to APLUProject Summary (Acrobat (PDF) 181kB Jul8 13)