To help you prepare for the workshop on Teaching about Time, we ask that you do several things in advance. Here's a list of those preparatory activities and their deadlines:
By Friday, February 3:
- Make your travel plans. For information on travel, lodging, ground transportation and meals see the logistics page. Please make your plans so that you can attend the entire workshop, from Sunday dinner through Tuesday dinner. If you are planning to go to the Grand Canyon on Wednesday (weather permitting) and you are flying into and out of Phoenix, plan to fly home on Thursday, March 1.
- Write your essay. See the essay instructions for details.
- Register for the workshop.
- Pay the $50 workshop fee.
By Friday, February 10:
- Contribute one or more of the following, illustrating an effective strategy for teaching about time:
- a teaching activity and supporting information;
- a course syllabus and supporting information;
- an assessment or evaluation NOT linked to a specific teaching activity (see an example of an assessment not related to rates and time); and/or
- a visualization and a description of its use in the classroom. Note: before you share a visualization with us, make sure that it is copyright-free (or that you own the copyright for it, or that you have the written permission of the copyright owner to make it available on the SERC website). We cannot publish on our site any materials for which someone else holds the copyright, without their explicit written permission.
By Sunday, February 12:
- If you are staying at the Holiday Inn Express, reserve your room by calling the hotel at 480-966-7202 and letting them know that you are with the Cutting Edge Time workshop.
Prior to the workshop:
- Print out (and bring with you) this map of the ASU campus.
- Read the summary of the findings from the 2011 Temporal Learning Journal Club meetings.
- Read all of essays by your fellow workshop participants. We will send you a PDF of them prior to the workshop.
- Bring a laptop, if you have one. We will use them in several of the workshop sessions.