Electron Microprobe Laboratory
Conditions for Use:
- Visitors are invited to work in the lab to work with lab personnel
- Visitors are invited to work in the lab to design and do the work yourself
Instrument timeUniversity of Utah:
Off campus academic & non-profit:
Staff assistance with analysis design, data acquisition and analysis
Carbon coating of samples
Epoxy grain mounts and thin sectionsHigh precision quantitative analysis requires an optically flat, polished surface. Users may provide appropriately polished samples, either mounted in epoxy or as thin sections. Standard mount sizes are 1" (25mm) round mounts with maximum height of 1" (~1/2" is preferred), or standard U.S. thin sections; round 25 mm thin sections are also acceptable. Unusual and larger sizes can be accommodated but need to be approved in advance.
If you require assistance in fabricating polished thin sections or epoxy mounts, please consult U of U Sample Preparation Services .
The lab provides carbon coating of samples with our newly installed Denton Benchtop Turbo IV high vacuum evaporator. In order to analyze glass samples for oxygen, we require that each mount contain our standard obsidian so that the samples and standard have the identical thickness of carbon coating. We can supply the standard, or we can prepare the mount with the standard.
Standard Collections/Lab Blanks:
- Class demonstrations are available for undergraduates
- Class demonstrations are available for K-12
- Undergraduate student research projects are invited
- Graduate student research projects are invited
Lab web site: http://probelab.utah.edu/