Electron Microprobe Laboratory
Electron Microbeam: EDS energy dispersive spectrometer
Electron Microbeam: CL cathodoluminescence detector +/- spectrometer
Electron Microbeam: EMPA electron microprobe; wavelength dispersive spectrometer
- Surface analysis
- Whole-rock analysis (major and trace element)
Conditions for Use:
- Submitted samples will be analyzed on a contract basis (i.e. lab personnel will do the work)
- Visitors are invited to work in the lab to work with lab personnel
- All analyses are performed by George Morgan except for OU personnel who have completed Dr. Morgan's microprobe training course.
US$100/hr or US$1000/day (24 hr) for all others.
Prep time charged as commensurate with time and materials used
Standard Collections/Lab Blanks:
Images for all signal types (BSEI, SEI, CL, ABS, XR-EDXA, XR-WDS) are acquired digitally with SAMx software that supports storage in a large variety of file formats that includes 8 to 24-bit TIF, JPG, GIF, Bitmap, and WMF among others. Image areas ≤ 1.6 x 1.6 mm are acquired by beam-scanning, and the acquisition software permits multiple sweeps/passes of the beam on each image, multiple reads of each pixel on each sweep, and a user-selectable dwell time between pixels (useful for allowing decay of emission between pixels for cathodoluminescence imaging). Larger area imaging/mapping can be performed by scanning the stage under a fixed beam, or by mosaic of smaller areas acquired by beam scanning.
Off-line image analysis through IMAGEPRO PLUS, data analysis via MS Excel for PC
- Class demonstrations are available for undergraduates
- Undergraduate student research projects are invited
- Graduate student research projects are invited