Digital Imaging Facility
This instrument is used to visualize and quantify the internal structure of rocks. It can be used to characterize the morphology of minerals, voids, fossils, etc. within a sample, and together with volume rendering facilities in the lab, model their spatial relationships and properties.
Unlike most CT-scanners, we have the ability to recognize relatively small objects with high fidelity, our highest resolution scans have voxel sizes of 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 microns. This is ideal for examining mixed mineral assemblages in heterolithic rocks. It can also be used for fossils, sed rocks, and modern biological materials.
Conditions for Use:
- Submitted samples will be analyzed on a contract basis (i.e. lab personnel will do the work)
- Visitors are invited to work in the lab to work with lab personnel
- Visitors are invited to work in the lab to design and do the work yourself
- Training Session (short course) is offered
Standard Collections/Lab Blanks:
- Undergraduate student research projects are invited
- Graduate student research projects are invited