Fossil/modern mole phylogeny
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Collection
Resources in this top level collection a) must have scored Exemplary or Very Good in all five review categories, and must also rate as “Exemplary” in at least three of the five categories. The five categories included in the peer review process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process. This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Jun 4, 2009
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
basic phylogenetics, including tree generation and tree description and comparison.
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- phylogenetic analysis, especially the difficulties of character coding and the relationship between characters and the resulting phylogeny
- advanced understanding of some aspect of skeletal morphology.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- reading and critically evaluating scientific literature
- manipulation and analysis of phylogenetic data
- evaluation and comparison of competing hypotheses
- a priori and a posteriori hypothesis evaluation
- developing hypotheses for future studies from existing results
Other skills goals for this activity
- writing up the results of a scientific study
- coordinating group work
- entering phylogenetic data and running a phylogenetic analysis using current research software
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment:Student handout for Mole Phylogeny Assignment (Microsoft Word 33kB Jun4 09)
- Instructors Notes:
- Solution Set: