Collaborative Research Project
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: May 29, 2013
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Become familiar with the primary literature relevant to a problem
- Pose an original question that can be tested in the field to address the problem.
- Write a research proposal
- Design a collaborative project
- Plan and prepare the logistics for conducting collaborative fieldwork.
- Collect and analyze data
- Synthesize data in the context of the initial question and background literature.
- Present your data as an oral presentation to the research team.
- Synthesize the collaborative data set as a group and design one poster that communicates our results to the public.
- Write a manuscript in the format of a journal article summarizing the results of the collaborative research and implications of your findings.
Other skills goals for this activity
Description and Teaching Materials
Final Research Project Assignment (Microsoft Word 35kB May29 13)
Teaching Notes and Tips
annotated bibliographies, project proposals, peer reviews of proposals, group research presentations, a collaborative class poster, and a final research paper.