Deep water circulation and chemistry jigsaw
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
- how to interpret vertical profiles
- how photosynthesis and respiration impact nitrate, phosphate, oxygen, and carbon.
- what radiocarbon is (although I also write the equation for delta 14C on the board for this exercise so the students understand the units on the figures).
While these are the basic concepts students could know going into this exercise, my students were also familiar with the biological pump and many had covered thermohaline circulation in other courses. However, this activity is the first time we put the two together in this class with respect to chemistry.
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- interpretation of vertical profiles
- thinking about three dimensional process based on 2D data plots.
- calculating water mass ages
Other skills goals for this activity
- working in groups
- discussion and interpretation of data with peers
Description and Teaching Materials
Student Handouts for Deep water circulation and chemistry jigsaw (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 102kB May29 13)