Physical Properties of Minerals and Determinative Techniques
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity was peer reviewed prior to publication in the Teaching Mineralogy Workbook.
This teaching activity was originally published in: Brady, J., Mogk, D. W., and Perkins, D., (editors), 1997, "Teaching Mineralogy," a workbook published by the Mineralogical Society of America, 406 pp. All teaching activities in this volume received two external peer reviews from mineralogy faculty focused on content and pedagogy, and a final review by the co-editors to comply with the publication standards of the Mineralogical Society of America.
This page first made public: May 9, 2008
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Identify minerals based on streak, luster, cleavage/fracture, hardness, density, and other characteristics
- Accurately describe and teach classmates about physical properties of minerals
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- using multiple lines of observational data to identify minerals
Other skills goals for this activity
- Work cooperatively in groups
- Improve student writing skills by writing a laboratory report
- Strengthen students' skills in oral presentations of their data and data analysis
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 40kB Apr27 08)
- Activity Description/Assignment (Acrobat (PDF) 55kB May3 08)
Mineralogical Society of America - become a member today!