Intro to Geology, and Physical Geology
In your department, do majors and non-majors take separate introductory courses?
No. We offer two introductory geology courses, one for 3credits and one for 4 credits. The courses run concurrently for lectures, the 4credit course (for science majors) has a separate lab for an additional hour in length.
If students take a non-majors course, and then decide to become a major, do they have to go back and take an additional introductory course?
- Gain an appreciation for the awe, majesty, and wonder the Earth.
- Understand the properties, processes and formative history of Earth through text, images, maps, laboratory and field.
- Develop skills of scientific literacy and inquiry regarding common and unique events of geologic interest.
- Appreciate the importance and prevalence of geology around us, especially in locations of personal interest.
- Increase awareness of the key roles of geologists in science and society, and the current opportunities for students.
- Refine a perspective on issues and duty relating natural (especially geological) sciences and the Christian faith, such as: origins, age of the Earth, evolution, and environmental stewardship.
Beside typcial quizzes, exams, lab assignments, and field trip reports, students create a "hometown geology" poster of geologic history, resources and/or hazards of a "favorite" place, presented as a poster session during the final lab period.Students also engage in a two-week sequence of lecture, reading, video/discussion, and writing assignment on the age of Earth.
It was the book pre-selected for me at my first teaching positio. AND my wife took college geology courses from the authors who inspired her to encourage me to take a geology course (I did and changed my major.)
AGI, NAGT Laboratory Manual in Physical Geology, Ed by Busch
Professional organization endorsement, multiple authors. AT the time the course was developed, it met the need very well.
References and Notes:
Assignment for Hometown Geology poster (Acrobat (PDF) 41kB Feb28 14)