Cutting Edge > Courses > Geophysics > Visualizing Seismic Waves for Teaching and Research > Discussions > Resource Development Ideas

« Visualizing Seismic Waves Discussions

Resource Development Ideas  

Hi Folks, This is a place where you can begin to share ideas about new instructional resources you will help develop during our March interlude. These could include: development of a new visualization to represent a concept, process, event...; maybe a thematic collection of visualizations that collectively cover topic X; a tutorial on "how-to" create a visualization, work with a particular dataset, etc; perhaps develop the instructional materials that use guided discovery to fully understand a visualization--annotations, context, background information, key features to observe and interpret...We're only limited by our imagination.

Please let us know what you would like to work on. And, please let us know what type of support you might need: web-based authoring, small group communal work spaces,...?

4028:13725

Share edittextuser=7 post_id=13725 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

I would love to write learning modules for the fascinating visualizations that Michael Thorne and Michael Wysession showed, but there's no way I can do this by March. I could do some of this in the summer perhaps.

As an example of what could be done, is to provide learning goals, background theory, and homework/activities for a topic that could be visualized with the models shown, such as head waves. I wonder if anyone is doing this already?

4028:13730

Share edittextuser=2591 post_id=13730 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Hi Derek, this is just the type of thing we need. We're hoping that during March you can begin to develop such a learning module. We could at least set up the template for you, as you suggest, with a place to put the learning goals, theory, activity, etc. Would it be possible to at least do an initial pilot demonstration example? Even if not absolutely completed this would still have value in helping to show us the way on how we could proceed. Thanks for the suggestion, and for your commentary during the sessions!

4028:13733

Share edittextuser=7 post_id=13733 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

This post was editted by Jacob Spear on Aug, 19th
I think it would be good to have a series of narrated movies (maybe ~10), using select movies presented in this workshop. Because adding narration to movies is hard to do, and when not done professionally can end up sounding silly, I think we should use ‘xtranormal’ (see: www.xtranormal.com/) to create the narrations with accompanied movie of the ‘narrator’; then splice the seismology movie and the Xtranormal movie together side-by-side creating a wide screen view. Using this same format for a series of movies will also unify the movies. For those unfamiliar with it, the Xtranormal movies are generated automatically from a written text where one can design the robot/character who says the dialog and also specify arm motions etc. Here’s an example of a movie we made for the Ocean Observatories Initiative using Xtranormal http://www.youtube.com/ooici#p/u/4/yFUurD2G8WM

=========

Hi Again (it is now April),

I've explored these video shorts and complied a library of my results:

http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/geophysics/seismic11/discussions.html

In general I found the robots had trouble saying some key words like 'San Andreas' and 'Seismic', but some of the information did come through and might be useful for teaching.

4028:13736

Share edittextuser=4478 post_id=13736 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

I was thinking of giving a short overview maybe
called "The amplitude gain of wiggles and pixels".

I was considering highlighting that there are
various ways to graphically portray seismic waves,
anywhere from wiggle plots to pixel plots. In addition,
I wanted to add to this something on amplitudes which
can also be manipulated to emphasize different features
in the data. For example, Michael Thorne used some
interesting amplitude gaining in his great presentation
last week.

Let me know if this is something that might be useful.
I envision a very short power point. I could do this at
either March 30 or April 6.

4028:13760

Share edittextuser=4477 post_id=13760 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of comments.

1) I think the movies sound like a great idea. Another option would be audacity for the audio (wouldn't sound quite so robotic). Here is a video that another student and I made about plate tectonics. We did all the audio with audacity (background music and voice overs). I thought it was pretty easy, being my first time playing with the software. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Hr7V1S0pI

2) I would like to modify an existing IRIS lesson to work with SAC data in the Seismic Canvas software that was presented to us. There is a lesson at IRIS about the a homogeneous vs. layered Earth where the students act as theoretical or observation seismologists. They compare forward model P-wave travel times with observed travel times and realize that based on the discrepancies between the two, the Earth cannot be homogeneous. I have been modifying this lesson over the last couple of months for high school students. I still give them pieces of paper with earthquake wiggles. I think it would be much more engaging for them if they got to use some software to process the traces and pick the p-wave arrival times. It would also be cool if the Seismic Canvas could then crossplot arrival time vs. distance for the observed travel time picks and some picks from a homogeneous forward model.

Just thoughts...anybody doing or thinking of similar stuff. I think it would be really fun to use the seismic canvas so that students have the opportunity to EASILY manipulate seismic data without knowing how to program.
Cheers,

Dylan

4028:13763

Share edittextuser=4492 post_id=13763 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Dylan et al.

My contribution will be a substantially more complete version of Seismic Canvas by late March. I have already added picking and direct measurement of travel time differences on the "list" view.

On the seismic section views, users will be able to measure time differences as well as apparent velocities and ray parameters.

Finally, it will be much smarter and more automated for downloading waveform data directly from the DMC.

Most of this is already working, so I will post an updated version in about a week or so.

4028:13765

Share edittextuser=4486 post_id=13765 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

This post was editted by Kit Pavlekovsky on Aug, 2012
I missed last weeks session but have just managed to catch up with the recorded version, thanks all.

I have a couple of ideas for work

1) I would love to have a go at Ground Motion Visualisations (GMVs) for broadband data in Europe, the station density of BB stations in Europe is nearly as good as USARRAY (but not as regular). Unfortunetly I do not have access to MATLB at the moment so i am not sure how practical this will be. (the data is easily accessible through teh WILBER interface at www.orfeus-eu.org)

2) following up on the audiolisation theme I would like to investigate localising seismic sound sources. What would it sound like to listen to seismic sounds from USARRAY backbone stations if sounds wre played back through speakers arranged on a scaled map (about eth size of a basketball court) with you sitting in teh rafters above it. Would you hear teh sound field swishing across teh lanscape ? I think this can be synthesised using Binuaral sound and headphones (localising sound sources using Head Related Transfer Functions)

3) I would like to share the resources developed at BGS for our school seismology project. We have a neat global earthquake locator which plots range lines on google maps (up to three school stations from US, UK and Ireland + plate boundaries www.bgs.ac.uk/education/school_seismology/app/schoolSeismology.cfc?method=locateQuake

4028:13794

Share edittextuser=4485 post_id=13794 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

This post was editted by Kit Pavlekovsky on Aug, 2012
I just decided to work with the UNAVCO GPS Velocity Viewer(http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/GPSVelocityViewer.php)
and develop lessons that could be used in intro courses and in high school Earth Science classrooms. Shelley Olds, at UNAVCO, recommended this for my Viz-Seismo Project when I contacted her through email about working on an EarthScope related project.
Eventually, I hope to work with the collaborative researchers working on the "Superior Province Rifting Earthscope Experiment" and UNAVCO, to develop lessons similar to the Long Valley Caldera, Basin and Range, and Wabash Valley "Did You Know.." activities designed using the EarthScope Voyager. (www.dpc.ucar/earthscopeVoyager/JVV_Jr/didyouknow/)

4028:13813

Share edittextuser=4473 post_id=13813 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Glenn,

Are you still planning on posting an updated version of seismic canvas? Just a couple of things I have noticed after playing with it for a minute:

1) A time axis along the top or the bottom of the canvas would be nice.
2) I would like an option to view the header for a selected trace.
3) The overlay option doesn't seem to be working...maybe an issue with my OS, but I don't know. I am running Ubuntu Linux with the following version of JAVA.

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

Could that have anything to do with it? I have noticed some other bugs, but maybe this isn't the best forum for this.

Keep up the good work. I think this software is going to be great for students with little coding experience.

Cheers,

Dylan

4028:14019

Share edittextuser=4492 post_id=14019 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Glenn,

Did a public release of seismic canvas come out yet? I would like to know because I was thinking of putting together an AGU abstract for a lesson that uses the software.
Cheers,

Dylan

4028:18299

Share edittextuser=4492 post_id=18299 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=4028

Join the Discussion

« Visualizing Seismic Waves Discussions

I need a teaching resource that shows »