Cutting Edge > Courses > Geophysics > Visualizing Seismic Waves for Teaching and Research > Discussions > Introductions

« Visualizing Seismic Waves Discussions

Introductions  

This post was editted by John McDaris on Feb, 2011
As a part of preparing for the workshop and the experience of working together virtually, we ask that participants use this discussion thread to provide the others with a brief introduction to themselves. Sort typical questions to answer would include: Who are you? Where are you? Do you come to the topic of visualizing seismic waves from the teaching or research perspective? What do you hope to learn from the workshop? Are there topics that you hope are covered in the workshop?

My name is John McDaris and I'm one of the WebTeam staff members of Cutting Edge. I have a Masters Degree in Geophysics and did work on a low T/P analogue for the Olivine-Spinel phase change in the transition zone. I have also taught geoscience at a two-year college. I'll be supporting Michael and Dave and all of you throughout this workshop so if you have any problems or questions about the technical infrastructure we'll be using feel free to email me (jmcdaris@carleton.edu). There is also a discussion thread set up for you to submit these issues.

3984:13587

Share edittextuser=116 post_id=13587 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hello! Welcome to the Workshop! I am very excited about this workshop - there has never been anything quite like it before. Here, in this space, I look forward to reading what people have to say in answering the questions posed above by John McDaris. I will say a word here about my own seismological experiences. I have been using seismic waves to image mantle structure for more than 25 years, since I did my undergraduate senior project with Don Forsyth at Brown on using SS-S waves to determine the structure of mid-Atlantic Ridge. I focused on imaging the core-mantle boundary for my PhD thesis with Emile Okal at Northwestern, and for almost 20 years have been doing seismology, largely in relation to mantle structure, on the faculty at Washington U. In terms of teaching about seismology, I was very fortunate to be able to be a coauthor, with Seth Stein, of the textbook "Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes, and Earth Structure." I continue to teach seismology using this book. I was always curious about what these waves actually looked like as they passed through the mantle, and more than 10 years ago made a set of animations of S-wave propagation in the mantle using the summation of torsional normal modes. I learned a lot about seismology education while serving as Chair of the IRIS Education and Outreach Committee, and this workshop is very much an extension of the many discussions we had there about ways to increase the educational reach and exposure of seismology.

3984:13588

Share edittextuser=1190 post_id=13588 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hi Folks, This is Dave Mogk checking in from Montana. I'm one of the original co-PIs of the On the Cutting Edge program (sponsor of this workshop). This event is part of a distinguished lineage of "live" and "virtual" workshops in which we've explored new dimensions of teaching Geophysics, Understanding Deep Earth, and now Seismic Visualizations. We also have a related series of events on Teaching with Data and Teaching with Visualizations so our current workshop is a nice integration of both the scientific and pedagogic work we've been doing. I'm a metamorphic petrologist by training, interested in the genesis and evolution of continental crust. I know just enough geophysics to be dangerous. But I do have to teach about seismic waves in my Intro course, and I also need to apply geophysical representations of the lower crust and mantle to my upper division Metamorphic Petrology course. I need help!!! So, I am hugely looking forward to the outcomes of this workshop. I desperately need to be brought up to speed about the scientific principles related to seismic waves, and I need access to some really good teaching materials (figures, animations, visualizations) that I can "borrow" for use in my classes. My role in this workshop will be to help you develop next-generation instructional materials and activities for our collections. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you, and learning from your expertise. Rock on!

3984:13589

Share edittextuser=7 post_id=13589 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Greetings, I am Carol Engelmann, a Doctoral Candidate at Michigan Tech University. I am currently working with PI Jackie Huntoon on the Michigan Teacher Excellence Project (MiTEP), a National Science Foundation Math/Science Partnership. I was an award winning master teacher for over 30 years, teaching Earth Science in middle and high school classrooms in MI, NE, and CA. I live in Omaha, NE, working remotely with MTU and doing a lot of traveling back and forth. My main role in the MiTEP project is curriculum development and teacher professional development. The focus of my research is GeoScience Education. I have been developing and testing effective strategies for GeoScientists to implement while collaborating with K-12 teachers. I recently joined the EarthScope Education and Outreach Sub-Committee as the K-12 education representative. I plan to support the use of EarthScope data and visualization tools in college and high school Earth Science courses. I do not have a strong background in Geophysics, I know enough to have taught Earth Science classes as well as to teach an Environmental Geology intro college class. Through this workshop, I hope to learn a lot about seismic waves and seismic wave propagation. I hope to learn about seismic tomography and software visualization tools, and then use this knowledge to design a project that incorporates the use of EarthScope data. Eventually, I hope to use data collected from the USArray Instrumentation Network in the Midwest and seismic tomography to visualize and better understand the failed mid-continental rift system in the Great Lakes Region.

3984:13606

Share edittextuser=4473 post_id=13606 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Warm greetings from sunny San Diego. I’m Debi Kilb, from Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UCSD. My job has three components: (1) I’m a researcher with a specialty in crustal seismology with a focus on mainshock/aftershock sequences; (2) Assist in responding to media request pertaining to notable earthquakes (local, regional and global); and (3) I do a lot of education/outreach (e.g., teacher workshops, class visits in K-12 schools, dog/pony shows for a wide range of audiences, answer Joe Public’s emails). I use visualizations in all three components of my job, although I don’t teach a formal class. I’m a big proponent of the ‘on line supplement’ to journal articles so that multi-dimensional data can be more easily presented and explored. My main aim in taking this workshop is to obtain a new ‘toolkit’ of visualizations to help me describe seismic waves to a wide audience, including grade school students, high school students, undergrads, graduate students, and also the public. I’m also interested in visualizations that can be used in media response to notable earthquakes (local, regional and global), to that aim I’m looking for seismic wave visualizations that can be created within an hour or so of a notable earthquake; a quick turn around time on creating these products is of importance to catch the ‘media wave’.

3984:13608

Share edittextuser=4478 post_id=13608 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hello, my name is YoungHee Kim, and I am a graduate student at Caltech. I am interested in learning new tools for visualizing seismic waves so that I can use them for my current or future research. I am sure that those techniques should be very useful to me when I teach students in my later academic career. A significant portion of my current research has been directed towards imaging the structure of the earth’s crust and mantle in order to gain insight into the physical and chemical factors associated with internal geodynamic processes in the subduction zone. Questions of particular interest include (1) the nature of tectonic processes involved in the buildup and subsequent modification of continental and oceanic lithosphere, and (2) the determination of mineral and fluid-phase reactions in tectonically active regions. Furthermore, I also worked on (3) adjoint centroid-moment tensor inversion to provide more accurate moment-tensor solutions based on the adjoint method. I mostly use SAC, GMT, and MATLAB for the visualization, but sometimes I feel that I am not using them to their full capabilities. I am looking forward to learning convential and new techniques that are used in latest research and applying them to my research.

3984:13610

Share edittextuser=4483 post_id=13610 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hi, my name is Xyoli Pérez-Campos, I represent a group of people that will be following the workshop from Mexico City. We are researchers and graduate students from the Seismology Department of the Institute of Geophysics at UNAM. Many of us focus our research in crust and upper mantle seismic structure. In particular, this semester we're teaching a class on observations, processing and interpretation of seismological data, so we are interested in getting more examples and create our own visualizations. Also, the researchers attending are involved in teaching seismology to both graduate and undergraduate students. Furthermore, we hold outreach activities for a wide variety of audience, it can go from the press to collegue students or professionals.
I'll post the final list of the attendees after our first session today. The number increase from four to ... I'm not sure.

3984:13611

Share edittextuser=4488 post_id=13611 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hello Everyone! This is Dylan Mikesell from Boise State University. I'm a pHd student at the Physical Acoustics Lab here at BSU. My work focuses on wave propagation and seismic interferometry. I am currently a NSF GK-12 fellow teaching in K-12 classrooms in the local area. I have been working on developing lessons about seismology for the younger age groups. It's proven difficult so I am hoping to get some great new ideas from this workshop. I also plan to teach throughout my career so I am excited to learn about new visualization tools for teaching at any level. Lastly, as part of this GK-12 fellowship, I have been putting seismometers into local schools and putting the data online so students and parents can see helicorders from their school on their home computer. I am looking forward to finding out what's online regarding wave visualization so that I can add direct parents and students to more learning outside the classroom. Looking forward to this workshop!

3984:13614

Share edittextuser=4492 post_id=13614 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Hi Everyone, I am Brian Covellone from the Graduate School of Oceanography at the University of Rhode Island. I am a PhD student working with Dr. Brian Savage. We are currently working on comparing 1D and 3D model results for earthquake source mechanisms using a data set encompassing the Middle East region. My broad research interests include using multiple geophysical techniques to learn about tectonic regimes at geologically diverse regions around the world. I look forward to participating in this workshop and learning about the cutting edge tools and resources the community is currently using and developing to visualize seismic waves.

3984:13615

Share edittextuser=4469 post_id=13615 initial_post_id=0 thread_id=3984

Join the Discussion

« Visualizing Seismic Waves Discussions

« Formats and Platforms       Technical Questions »