Morphological Classification of Shorelines based on Hydrographic Regime
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Apr 30, 2008
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
2. interpret tidal range using Jtides.
3. identify and describe deltas, barrier islands, and other features along depositional coasts.
4. interpret the relative influence of wave and tidal currents in shaping the coast.
5. determine the direction of longshore transport.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
2. reading and plotting on graphs
3. summary writing
Description of the activity/assignment
Designed for a geomorphology course
Integrates geomorphology into a core course in geology
Designed for an introductory geology course
Uses online and/or real-time data
Has minimal/no quantitative component
Addresses student fear of quantitative aspect and/or inadequate quantitative skills
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Acrobat (PDF) 1.5MB Apr30 08)
- Solution Set (Acrobat (PDF) 710kB Apr30 08)
- Goggle Earth KMZ file ( 682bytes Apr30 08)