Introduction to Physical Geology
Subject: Geoscience, :Geology
Resource Type: Course Information
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14)
Course Type: Entry Level:Physical Geology
- Students should be able to describe the origin and formation of the Earth in relation to the origin of the universe and the solar system.
- Students should be able to explain the basic structure of the Earth and the nature of solid Earth materials.
- Students should be able to identify common rocks and rock-forming minerals.
- Students should be able to describe the physical processes that operate to reshape our dynamic planet.
- Students should be able to comprehend the magnitude of geological time and understand geology as a science founded on the assumption of uniformitarianism.
- Students should be able to explain the theory of plate tectonics and use this theory to explain volcanoes, earthquakes, mountain chains, continental structure and the origin of the ocean basins.
- Students should be able to describe the geologic history of the Denver area based on direct observations in the field.
How course activities and course structure help students achieve these goals: