On the Cutting Edge Evaluation
The evaluation plan addresses two major effort domains of the project: the workshops and the website. All evaluations provide information to enable project staff to answer the following questions:"What are the results we are trying to achieve?" "Given these, who do we have to reach?" "What programs do we have with which to reach them?" "What evidence do we have that we did what we planned?"
The intent of the evaluation is both formative and summative. From a formative perspective, we look to improve our overall program including the workshops, website collections, and leadership program.The current objectives of the summative evaluation plan are to assess the impact of the workshops and website on faculty teaching and student learning. A second aim is to evaluate how the program contributes to the research base on effective faculty development.
The evaluation plan uses a theory of change to examine and identify the strongest and most compelling evidence for the program impacts.
Publications and Presentations
- McConnell, David, Iverson, Ellen, Budd, David, Henry, Darrell, Kraft, Katrien J. van der Hoeven, McDaris, John R., MacDonald, Heather, Manduca, Cathryn, Srogi, LeeAnn, and Viskupic, Karen (2011). A Preliminary Snapshot of Geoscience Teaching at US Colleges and Universities. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 136. (Abstract)
- Bruckner, Monica Z., Rachel J. Beane, and Heather Macdonald (2011), On the Cutting Edge Webinar Series Supports Graduate Students and Post-Docs Pursuing an Academic Career (Acrobat (PDF) 1.8MB Dec18 11), Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 255 (Abstract)
- Fox, Sean, Ellen A. Iverson, Cathryn A. Manduca, Karin B. Kirk, John R. McDaris, Carol J. Ormand, Monica Z. Bruckner (2011), Supporting Faculty Learning About Teaching: The On the Cutting Edge Website, Abstract ED23A-0612 Poster presented at 2011 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 5-9 Dec. (Abstract)
- Teasdale, Rachel, David Budd, Cinzia Cervato, Ellen Iverson, Katrien J. van der Hoeven Kraft, Cathryn Manduca, David A. McConnell, John R. McDaris, Daniel P. Murray, and William Slattery (2011). Enhancing Student-Centered Teaching Practices: Approaches Developed On the New Cutting Edge Geosciences RTOP Website, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 43, No. 5, p. 255. (Abstract)
- Manduca, Cathryn A., David W. Mogk, Barbara Tewksbury, R. Heather Macdonald, Sean P. Fox, Ellen R. Iverson, Karin Kirk, John McDaris, Carol Ormand, and Monica Bruckner (2010). SPORE: Science Prize for Online Resources in Education: On the Cutting Edge: Teaching Help For Geoscience Faculty: Science, v. 327, no. 5969, pp. 1095-1096.
- Iverson, E.R., McLaughlin, J.A., Manduca, C.A. (2006) The Logic Model as Compass: Guiding Stakeholders Through the Consequences of Evaluation. Presented at American Evaluation Association 2006 Annual Conference.presentation (PowerPoint 1.5MB Nov29 06)
- Manduca, C.A., H. Macdonald, D. Mogk, and B. Tewksbury (2006). On the Cutting Edge: Evolving Themes, Enduring Impact (Acrobat (PDF) 335kB Apr25 06). Northfield, MN: Science Education Resource Center.
- Macdonald, R.H., C.A. Manduca, D.W. Mogk, and B.J. Tewksbury (2005). "Teaching Methods in Undergraduate Geoscience Courses: Results of the 2004 On the Cutting Edge Survey of US Faculty." Journal of Geoscience Education, 53(3): 237.
- Iverson, E.R., C.A. Manduca, J.A. McLaughlin, R.H. Macdonald, (2005), Enhancing your Teaching and Developing New Leadership: Impact of the On the Cutting Edge Professional Development Program (PowerPoint 2.6MB Jan18 06), Eos Trans. AGU, 86(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract ED42A-02
- Manduca, C.A. and E.R. Iverson (2005). Understanding Faculty Work Habits as a Foundation for Professional Development (PowerPoint 1.8MB Jan18 06). Presented at POD Network 2005 Annual Conference.
- Fox, S., Manduca, C. A., Iverson, E., (2005). Building Educational Portals atop Digital Libraries D-Lib, 11(1).
- Macdonald, R. H., C. A. Manduca, D. W. Mogk and B. J. Tewksbury (2004). "On the Cutting Edge: Improving Learning by Enhancing Teaching." In, Invention and Impact: Building Excellence in Undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education. Washington, D.C., AAAS: 381.
- Results of Email Poll (Acrobat (PDF) 34kB Jan30 14), 2013
- 2009 Cutting Edge Evaluation Report (Acrobat (PDF) 898kB Feb5 10)
- Bibliometric Survey of On the Cutting Edge Workshop Participants (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 82kB Jan12 10), Luti Salisbury, 2008
- 2008 SERC Results of an Email Poll (Microsoft Word 42kB Dec12 08)
- Summary of 2007 Interviews at AGU (Microsoft Word 76kB Jan7 10)
- 2008 Participant Survey Summary (Microsoft Word 87kB Jan8 10)
- 2006 SERC Pop Up Survey Results (Microsoft Word 197kB Apr28 06)
- Summary Evaluation Report 2003-2005 (Microsoft Word 259kB Apr17 06)
- Summary report of awareness survey conducted November 2005-January 2006 (Microsoft Word 36kB May1 06)
- Summary report of phone interviews conducted with 54 workshop participants in 2005 (Microsoft Word 79kB Jan18 06)
- Summary report of phone interviews conducted with 12 non-workshop website users in 2005 (Microsoft Word 33kB Jan18 06)
- Summary report of Cutting Edge users from SERC pop-up survey 2005 (Microsoft Word 44kB Jan18 06)
- Summary report of 235 responses to impact survey 2005 (Microsoft Word 89kB Jan18 06)
- External Heuristic Review (Acrobat (PDF) 979kB Jan18 06)
- 2004 Summary report of 95 responses to follow up survey (Microsoft Word 127kB Jan18 06)
- 2004 AGU Focus Groups (Microsoft Word 38kB Jan18 06)
- 2004 summary of website evaluation activities (Microsoft Word 28kB Jan18 06)