This evening workshop is designed to help tenure-track geoscience faculty prepare for the tenure process and make their strongest case for tenure. Workshop discussions and activities will focus on analyses of CVs, personal statements (narratives) that are used as supporting documentation in tenure applications. Participants will have the opportunity to gain feedback and advice on their own preparation towards tenure. In addition, participants will have the opportunity to review several examples of successful geoscience tenure packages from range of institutions.
Workshop Goals for Participants
- Analyze components of successful tenure packages from a range of institutions to identify features and strategies useful in making the case for tenure
- Review c.v.'s in the context of a tenure application
- Discuss topics of high interest to registered workshop participants
- Leave with ideas, strategies, and a plan for building your tenure case and a support network of other early career faculty
Friday, October 7, 5 pm to 8 pm. Includes a light dinner.
Prior to the workshop, participants are asked to
- Submit 3 questions or issues of highest concern to you about tenure and/or your progress towards tenure.
- Obtain, read, and submit a copy of the tenure requirements at your institution.
- Update your CV. Submit your CV to the workshop (optional). We will analyze CVs during the workshop and this will be an opportunity to gain constructive feedback on your CV from leaders and other participants who submitted their CVs.
Participants should be in a tenure track (or equivalent) position in a two-year or four-year college or university at the time of the workshop.
The workshop will be held in conjunction with the Geological Society of America (GSA) meeting in Minneapolis, MN. The workshop is located at the University of St. Thomas (1000 LaSalle Ave). The main entrance is (TMH) Terrence Murphy Hall at the corner of LaSalle Ave and 10th Street. The closet GSA hotel is the Doubletree (but all are within easy walking distance). All course leaders and attendees will walk through this entrance and check in at a central registration desk. Our Course Room number is: TMH 252.
For More Information
If you have questions about this workshop please contact mailto:email@example.com or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.