Richelle Allen-King's Top Ten Tips
Each year at the Early Career workshop, Richelle Allen-King presents her top ten tips for working effectively with research students. Richelle teaches at SUNY-Buffalo. Here is her list from 2007.
- Ask about & respect their goals.
- Find models of (positive) research student interactions appropriate to your setting.
- Discuss expectations (yours and theirs).
- Have a weekly check-in.
- Recruit good students to work on topics of high interest to you.
- Define student topics carefully & together (try to be realistic - you may want to have students work in teams on more ambitious projects).
- Work together with students in lab or field at key times.
- Help students manage their project (examples, student day planners, and project flow sheets).
- Celebrate together.
- Read the National Research Council's Adviser, Teacher, Role Model, Friend (bibliographic information and summary)