Resource Type: Course Information:Goals/Syllabi
Grade Level: College Upper (15-16)
Course Type: Upper Level:Geomorphology/Surface Processes
- Students should be able to interpret surficial geology from topographic maps, air photos, DEMs and satellite images.
- Students should be able to collect meaningful geomorphic field data and interpret and present that data using spreadsheet programs like Excel and drawing programs like Adobe Illustrator.
- Students should be able to suggest appropriate quaternary dating methods to different quaternary deposits.
- Students should be able to devise and solve simple quantitative problems that give insight into rates and styles of surficial processes.
How course activities and course structure help students achieve these goals:
- Oral communication - students give a short presentation on a geomorphology related topic based on researching several journal articles.
- Critically reading the literature – as a class we read and discuss several geomorphology related journal articles throughout the semester.
- Improving quantitative skills
- Developing a sense of the multi-discipline nature of geomorphology
- Quality and completeness of lab assignments
- Several exams on lecture materials
- A lab final on map and air photo skills
- Problem sets
- Quality and effectiveness of a class presentation