Using SERC Workspaces
SERC Workspaces are wiki-like areas on the web where groups can collaboratively edit web pages and share documents.
Each workspace page has editing controls in a pink box in the upper right corner of the page. Clicking this box will expand it to reveal either a login area or (if you've already logged in) a series of options for making edits.
- The Edit this Page button changes the text of the page into a directly editable box with a Save button at the side and basic formatting options in a menu bar.
- Links to other pages can be made using the link tag [link url 'text of link']. The details are outlined in the Editing Help link within the editing sidebar.
- The Upload File/Image button provides a screen where you can select files on your local hard drive, provide title and description and then upload the file to the workspace.
- The Create New Page button lets you provide the title for a new page, specify where in the navigation menu the page will live and (once you create the page) will provide you with a tag you can use to link to this new page. You can also move to any page in the workspace using the list at the bottom of the editing sidebar.
- In your working group, communicate who will be editing the page.
- Before you begin editing, refresh your page. This will incorporate the changes of the previous author.
- When you are done editing, save your changes, then 'exit editing mode.'
- The next editor will need to refresh their page before they begin to make changes.
At the bottom of the right side is a link to the File Archive. This page lists all the files and images that have been uploaded in the workspace. In addition this page also shows the tags needed to embed that particular file or image within any of the other workspace pages (e.g. [file 11006]).
Uploaded Files are in the File Archive and can be embedded directly in any page.
Only registered participants in this workshop may view these pages and open the files that reside here. When the page content is ready for public viewing, the page will be moved to a public part of the website.
This Workspace is Private.
Workspaces are Built on the Same Tools as the rest of the SERC CMS.You can explore the rest of the documentation here to get more detail about the SERC CMS and how it functions.